If you’re doing genealogical research in Zacatecas, Mexico, there are several resources you might want to consult during your research.
- Mexico Church Records
- Catholic Diocese in Zacatecas, Mexico
- Mexico Church Directories
- Mexico Church History
- Cultural Center of Interest (Spanish)
Genealogy Societies, Heritage Groups and Research Centers of Interest
Genealogical Society of Hispanic America – Southern California
Society of Hispanic Historical and Ancestral Research
Colorado Society of Hispanic Genealogy (CSHG)
Olibama Lopez Tushar Hispanic Legacy Research Center (OLTHLRC)
- New Mexico
Hispanic Genealogical Research Center
New Mexico State Archives and Libraries
New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- New York
Hispanic Genealogical Society
Los Bexarenos Genealogical and Historical Society
Hispanic Genealogical Society of Houston (Facebook Page)
Rio Grande Valley Hispanic Genealogical Society
Hispanic Genealogy Research – Community Facebook Page about Family research
American Benevolent Society/Sociedad Americana de Beneficincia, I.A.P. – This site is in both Spanish and English.
Independent Order of Odd Fellows
- Archivo Historico Del Estado De Zacatecas
- La Cienega Los Fresnos Zacatecas Mex
- Hispanic Genealogical Society of Houston
- Grupo De Genealogía Del Valle de México
- SAMA Zacatecas – Secretaria Del Agua Y Medio Ambiente
- Museo de Guadalupe
- Huston Institute for Culture
- Indigenous People of Zacatecas – Houston Institute of Culture
- Encyclopedia of the Nations – scroll down for the history
- Wikipedia – scroll down for the history
- Spanish Letter Writing Guide – (Downloadable Copy) Provided by the Family History Library.
- Spanish Genealogical Word List – Provided by the Family History Library
- Spanish Script Tutorial – This is provided by the Center for Family History & Genealogy and Department of History
- Spanish Records Extraction Guide (65MB) – This guide is for those who desire to learn how to read old Spanish handwriting for the purpose of extracting parish records.
- National History Museum
- Bancroft Library – Latin Americana: Mexico and Central America Collection
- Stanford Library – Latin American & Iberian collections – Stanford’s holdings exceed 350,000 volumes on Latin America. The historical strength of the collection has been on 19th and 20th century Mexico and Brazil. Since 1982, Stanford and UC Berkeley have had a cooperative collection agreement, which was extended to include the University of Texas at Austin.
- The Hoover Insitution – The Hoover Institution’s coverage of the region dates back to 1919 and exceeds 36,000 titles. Its vast archival collections include more than 6,000 microfilm reels of periodicals and newspapers, materials on peronismo, the Cuban and Nicaraguan revolutions as well as the Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939.
- Mexico Archives & Libraries – Family Search.org
- Museo de Guadalupe – The collection of the Museum of Guadalupe contains paintings, sculptures, and books of the sixteenth and nineteenth century.
Address: East Garden Juárez without number, Centro, CP 98600, Guadalupe, Zacatecas. Telephone: 01 (492) 923 2089 and 923 2386.
- Museo Zacatecano – Originally opened in 1998 and later expanded in 2001, Museo Zacatecano containes up to 15 permanent exhibits including abstract art.
Address: Colón s / n esq. Seminar, Centro, Zacatecas, Zac.
Phone: (492) 924 37 05, 922 91 67
Hours: 10:00 to 16:30 hrs. Wednesday to Monday
Closed on Tuesdays.
- Museo Toma de Zacatecas – One of the most important events in the history of the City of Zacatecas by the forces commanded by Francisco Villa.
Address: Esplanade hill of La Bufa, Zacatecas, Zac.
Phone and fax: (492) 922 8066
Hours: 10:00 to 16:30 hrs.
Open every day
- Museo Arqueologico de sitio “Alta Vista” (Chalchuhuites – A collections of object and ornaments representing the prehispanic culture of the Chalchuhuites.
Address: A 6 km Pte Chalchihuites, Zac,.
229 km NW of the cd. Zacatecas;
55 km from Sombrerete, Zac.
Phone: (492) 922 5085 and 922 0403 (INAH)
Hours: 09:00 to 16:30 hrs.
Open every day
Library of Congress
Hispanic Local History & Genealogy in the United States: Selected Titles at the Library of Congress
- New Mexico
- Catalogs and Archives
- Benson Latin American Collection at University of Texas at Austin
- University of Arizona Early Southwest Maps
- Library of Congress Maps of Mexico
- David Rumsey Map Collection
- Directory of Cities and Towns in Estado de Zacatecas, Mexico
- Zacatecas Maps
Mexico – General
- Mexico Military Records – Family Search.org Wiki
- National Autonomous University of Mexico
- List of Newspapers in Mexico – Wikipedia
- Mexican Newspapers – located at onlinenewspapers.com
- Hispanic Heritage Project
- About.com – Mexico | México – Mexican Genealogy & Family History –
- Buroughs of Mexico
- March of Zacatecas – Audio recording of Zacatecas State Anthem
- Railroad transport in Mexico.
- MEXLIST is a free electronic community for the exchange of knowledge about the Mexican railways. Our members include nearly 850 scholars, railfans, historians, railroaders, business leaders, photographers, modelers, and others living in the nations whose flags are displayed above. We always welcome new members from new places. Please use the green menu at left to learn more.
- HOW WE GOT HERE: THE ROADS WE TOOK TO AMERICA
By Donna S. Morales and John P. Schmal
- ArchiveGrid – (Zacatecas, Mexico search results) ArchiveGrid helps researchers looking for primary source materials held in archives, libraries, museums and historical societies.